A change in the last years made car donation charity less attractive for taxpayers, and delivered mixed results for charities that take cars. Some are reporting little or no change in the number or value of charitable auto donations for a tax deduction. Others say the changes have hurt their fundraising efforts. In one case the car donation charity that usually gets more than $12 million per year from the sales, saw the figure dropped to less than $7 million. As it stands now, the deduction a taxpayer can claim for car donation charity is limited to the amount for which the car sells at auction.
When donating to charity, taxpayers can deduct what they are able to document as the car’s fair market value. Because cars often sell for much less at auction than owners think they’re worth, deductions will be much less and the charity must notify the taxpayer of the amount the car sold for before a deduction can be realized, unless the car is worth less than $500. An exception is if your giving is to a car donation charity that is going to use the car and not sell it. Then you can deduct the fair market value for the charitable auto donations. Car donation charity feared lower deductions would scare people away. Some charities and firms that auction cars for charity think that the lower tax deduction won’t hurt donations and charity fundraising. That’s because most of the people who donate to charity don’t itemize, so they can’t take a deduction anyway.
Most people are participating in car donations to charity because of convenience. They don’t want to have to spend money to get the car in shape, to sell it. It is simple to participate at charitable auto donations! People like you and I, donate their cars to charity, and increase its funds, thus making a profound change in the overall standard of living of the neighborhood, and the nation. Your vehicle donation helps support a charity of your choice in their vital work. Theoretically, every charity may choose from a number of fundraising activities, including car donations, for financial support. Because of the substantial unit values, receiving car donations, and selling them for profit, is one of the favorite funds gathering models. How a charity operates a car donation program may have tax consequences. The program can affect the charity’s exempt status; and impact the tax-deductibility of the donor’s contribution. If any charity operates a car donation program in a manner that confers improper benefits on private parties, the charity’s exemption may be adversely affected. If the charity loses its exemption, its income is subject to tax, and it must file the appropriate federal income tax return. However, if the tax laws are adhered to, the program should not negatively impact on the charity’s tax-exempt status. Donors may deduct their contributions (if all legal requirements are met).
The car donation charity may hire a private, for-profit entity as an agent to operate its car donation program. Both of them must establish an agency relationship that is valid under the applicable state law. Generally, an agency relationship will be established where the parties agree that the for-profit entity will act on the charity’s behalf and that the for-profit entity’s activities covered by the agreement are subject to the charity’s audit. Accordingly, the charity should actively monitor program operations and have the right to review all contracts, establish rules of conduct, choose program operators, pre-approve all advertising materials, and examine the program’s financial records. Although it seems quite strict, the idea is to prevent any wasteful actions on part of the operator, that have the potential to reduce the net profits available for the charitable causes, and thus limit your impact, as a donor, on the beneficial work of your chosen nonprofit organization.
Read the rest of this entry »
How to find cheap auto insurance quotes.
If you think you’re paying too much for your existing auto insurance, put the internet to work and with a little effort it’s easy to find cheap auto insurance quotes that can save you money right now, here’s how…
Only by shopping round for competitive insurance quotes can you find cheap auto insurance quotes. Most people don’t bother or compare just 2 quotes with little thought to the factors insurance companies base their prices on.
Cheap auto insurance quotes aren’t necessarily the best, it’s more involved than comparing the bottom line. The manner in which insurance claims are processed and approved is an important consideration as is the speed that claims are settled.
The manner in which an insurer deals with you both verbally and in writing is important, they should be easy to contact, courteous and willing to help. Remember that following an accident you are likely to be in a state of stress and the last thing you’ll need is a company you can’t contact and doesn’t take a personal interest in resolving your case.
Deductibles can save you money…
A higher insurance deductible equates to cheaper auto insurance quotes, when a claim is filed you will be responsible for the first $X’s, the deductible, and the insurance company pays the balance. The choice you have to make is between a lower deductible with a higher premium but less out of pocket expenses if a claim is made or a higher deductible with a lower premium but higher costs to meet if a claim is made. It’s a choice that only you can make but if you want a cheap auto insurance quote increasing your deductible from $200’s to $1,200’s will give you significant savings on your insurance premium, but there are risks…
Choose the highest deductible you can afford should the worst happen and enjoy the savings from your reduced premiums.
So select the maximum you can to pay—the higher the better because the difference in your car insurance premiums will mean more cash in your pocket.
Ask for a discount
Another favorite saying from my Grandmother was “If you don’t ask you wont get” and that is so true, unless you ask they are very unlikely to offer additional discounts, there are many reasons why they may and I have outlined some important ones below…
Your existing insurance company probably offers lower rates to new customers and they might be persuaded to offer similar rates to keep your business.
Multi line discount is often on offer if you insure both your home and auto with the same insurance company.
Good driver discounts are offered if you have not had an accident or ticket in a long time
Installing car alarms and tracking systems is seen as reducing the risk of theft and most insurance companies will pass the savings to offer cheap auto insurance quotes.
Low mileage discounts are available if your average mileage is typically less than 40 miles per day you will be offered a cheap auto insurance quote.
You car makes a difference
A less desirable auto is less likely to be stolen and usually attracts a cheaper premium. Comparing rates between cars before buying might force you to reconsider your options if there is a notable difference between premiums, choose the insurance before deciding on your new car.
Finding cheap auto insurance quotes isn’t difficult when comparing quotes online, in less than 5 minutes you can save hundreds of dollars off your annual premium, armed with the knowledge and the will to do so cheap auto insurance quotes are easy to find.
Read the rest of this entry »
Like any other types of personal injury claims, not all car rollover cases require the help coming from a lawyer. The injured victims must first dig up their cases and try to establish some important facts before filing charges. Generally, simple cases may be settled through negotiations between the parties involved especially if the victims only sustained minimal damages, liability is clear and no other factors instigate conflicts.
To guide you on when to consult a car rollover lawyer is a list of these instances:
- There is an uncertainty on who is liable for the accident occurrence.
- You do not know how to assess your case.
- The insurance adjuster requested you to present your medical records that dated before the accident happen.
- The adjuster offers a settlement, which you firmly believe should be even higher.
- The adjuster is proposing other manners of settlement payment rather than the acceptable lump sum method.
- You do not have enough skills and understanding on how to negotiate settlements.
- Your case involves claiming lost wages that entails a much intricate matters to prove.
- Other mitigating circumstances may increase your recoveries but you do not know how to utilize it to your advantage.
- If your insurance company denied your claim and you wish to file a motion for reconsideration or an appeal to a civil court.
- You have sustained serious injuries causing you to pay costly medical treatments and rehabilitations.
- Your injury is expected to last that will definitely necessitate continuous treatment and medication.
- One of the injured victims is a minor.
- Your claim is taking too long and you do not fully understand why it is so.
- The accident involves complicated issues and factors that need an expert look.
- The other party has filed his counter-charges.
To find a lawyer suitable for your car rollover claim, consider the following:
- Hire a lawyer coming from a reputable law firm
- Hire a lawyer who has the specialization in the field of handling personal injury cases or better yet car accident cases
- Determine his record of winnings
- Verify if he has no pending case with the California Bar Association
- Identify his manner of charging his clients, it is advisable to choose those lawyers who offer contingency fees
- Know all his other affiliations, it is better if he belongs to a legal organization known for their strict membership recruitment
Read the rest of this entry »
Have you ever been involved in a car accident? It is important to keep in mind that 90% of car accident cases happen with a human factor. It means that in many cases, one or several of the parties involved in the accident have made a mistake that led to the occurrence of the accident.
Most type of accidents involving cars are collisions.
1. Rear end collisions – the driver who is in the car behind you is usually the one to blame 2. Side collision – typically, this kind of collision happens once another driver ignores traffic rules in crossroads and hits a car on the side. 3. Head on collision – the gravity and severity of damage is calculated by the overall speed of both cars involved. This kind of accidents occurs following bad take-over that is made riskily.
Embarking upon a car accident claim or any type of personal injury claim, for that matter is not all that easy or spontaneous. Before filing a claim, you have to make sure that all necessary and obvious factors are covered in your claim, as well as the hidden factors that could make or break your case.
Here are several of the most important things to have in mind if you are planning to file a car accident claim.
1. Requesting for a car accident claim can only be done if you have nothing, which could pinpoint the blame for the accident to you.
2. When you are sure that you are blameless in the course of the events that led to the accident, next thing to do is to find an expert car accident lawyer to assist you with the procedures of filing your claim.
Even as you have read instructions and several laws about it, do not even consider doing your claim by yourself. If the knowledge you have gained is still lacking, and you attempted to do your claim on your own, then it may be detrimental for your case.
It is even more advisable to find car accident specialists in a car accident law firm, wherein they would have various expertises in claiming for certain car accident scenarios.
3. It may be serious mistake to lay out all of your money and take it with the insurance company. If you fail to get assistance from a lawyer, chances are the other party’s insurance company would extend all its efforts to reduce the amount that you rightfully deserve, up to minimum.
Your lawyer would clear up issues like this, for you. He/she can tell you the specific amount of money that you could receive, what to do to achieve this, what are the things to and the proper way of saying it.
One major advice in dealing with car collision lawyers where you would be satisfied with the outcome is to retain a lawyer on a contingent fee basis. In this case, the no win no fee rule will be implemented and you would not be burdened with costs and expenses without being sure of the outcome.
Read the rest of this entry »
Many people wonder what to do with their vehicle which is there unused from a couple of months. This is a very common condition when you suddenly buy a new vehicle and don’t require the old one or the one which you are presently driving needs replacement. In such case donating the vehicle for the work of charity makes out to be the best thing you could do with your old vehicle. Donating your vehicle to the charity helps the charity do many important works for our community, the needy and the disabled.
Donating a vehicle is indeed a great value you add to your vehicle and get the satisfaction of helping the society. It is a way of showing you care and giving something back to the society. So if you are ready to donate your vehicle to a charity here is a little information which will definitely help you in managing this noble cause
• Vehicle donation can be done to any non profit charity across the United States.
• Vehicles to be donated can include cars, trucks, SUV’s, RV’s, trailers, boats, motorcycle, Vans etc.
• For a greater benefit of the charity you have selected to donate your vehicle to, ensure that your vehicle is in running condition which will fetch more value to your vehicle.
• Most of the charities accept both running and non running vehicles but for the later one the potential value is first estimated.
• Donating a vehicle is a better way of creating a difference other than selling it which may be a difficult task.
• Your vehicle received by the charity as a part of donation is sold in a auction where the highest bidder gets the vehicle and the charity the money which it can use for a noble cause.
• There are many organizations like the vehicle-donation.us which make the task of donating a vehicle a lot much easier for both the donator and the charity.
• You are entitled to get some tax benefits by donating your vehicle. Generally, the amount you may deduct for a vehicle contribution depends upon what the charity does with the vehicle. Charities typically sell donated vehicles. If the vehicle is sold by the charitable organization, the deduction claimed by the donor usually may not exceed the gross proceeds from the sale.
• For more information on tax benefits on vehicle donations see Publication 526, Charitable Contributions, Publication 561, Determining the Value of Donated Property, and Publication 4303, A Donor’s Guide to Car Donations, available on IRS.gov
• The Vehicle Donation Program helps support the services the charities provide in communities across America.
• Your vehicle donation not only helps you but it helps the needy to a great deal. And every time you remember that you have donated a vehicle for a noble cause you will have the satisfaction of contributing something to the community.
Read the rest of this entry »
If you have never been a motor vehicle accident that resulted in having to file a suit against the at-fault driver, then you still have time to learn: Don’t screw up your auto accident settlement. That may seem harsh, but sometimes you can innocently mess up your chances of receiving what you should in the settlement.
I asked a group of folks for what they had learned when they went through the auto accident settlement process. The advice covered what to do at the accident scene, what and how to document everything, how to deal with the other guy’s insurance company, and when it may be time to hire an attorney.
Here are the top 10 bits of hard-earned wisdom:
1. While at the accident scene: call for medical assistance immediately if anyone is injured. Remain at the scene of the accident. 2. Get information concerning the time, place, date, location, as well as the other driver’s auto license number and driver’s license name and number. Write everything down!!! Get names and phone numbers of witnesses and passengers. 3. Take pictures at the scene of the accident…of everything; your vehicle, the other vehicle involved, the area the accident happened in, and any personal property that may have been damaged in your vehicle. If the police are there, point out what is damaged to them or to the witnesses. 4. Contact your insurance company and be sure to get the claim number assigned to the case. If the police are called, get a copy of the report and DO NOT sign or admit any guilt. 5. DO NOT ADMIT CAUSE. Don’t admit to doing anything. Even if you think it was your fault, don’t say it to anyone at the scene of the accident. 6. Document everything. If you miss work or school, document the days you missed, the reasons why you missed, and what that day was worth to you financially. Have it signed by someone in authority at work or school. 7. Be sure, if you are injured, to seek medical attention. Keep a journal and record the names, addresses, and phone numbers of doctors, hospitals and clinics. Record the date and reason for each office visit. Make an entry every day in the journal describing any sort of physical, mental or emotional problem you experience which may have been caused by the accident. 8. If the other driver’s insurance company contacts you, do not respond. Send their correspondence to your insurance company or attorney, and let them respond on your behalf. 9. Don’t settle for just whatever the insurance company tells you they will pay for the damages to your vehicle or property. 10. If there is a significant amount of money involved, consider hiring a lawyer.
Here’s what a couple of folks learned, in their own words:
“I was in an auto accident 3 years ago and I got a settlement. It was not as much as I should have received, but I got all I could. The one thing I learned is that since my major medical insurance paid my medical bills, they had a lien on my settlement. If I had not taken the person to court that was at fault, my major medical insurance company would have gotten the settlement instead of me. Consult with a car accident attorney as soon after an accident as possible so that you know your rights.”
“One thing I have learned from being in an auto accident is that one must remain firm with the other driver’s insurance company. They will try to play games and push time limits etc. Stay on them. Keep track of the times you called and who you spoke to. Then if you have to file a complaint with the Department of Insurance (which we did) or seek the assistance of an attorney, then you have proof of your attempts to communicate and their unwillingness to help.”
If you will follow the advice of those who have “been there done that” then there’s a good chance you won’t screw up your auto accident settlement.
Read the rest of this entry »
Dishonest people scam insurance companies every day. Insurance companies then pass the cost of these scams down to the consumer by raising rates. What is more worrisome than the scamming and loss of low car insurance is the life risk these criminals pose to each and every one of us. They do not care that our lives and our family’s lives are put in danger by their unscrupulous behavior. Learn how to recognize and avoid some of the most common accident scams.
The sideswipe: A person will continuously make left hand turns in an intersection with multiple lanes until someone accidentally crosses the lane lines. The scammer then speeds up and causes a collision. To help others, tell the police if it seems that the other vehicle sped up instead of braking. You can avoid this type of crash by diligently keeping to your lane.
T-Bone Crash: This crash is orchestrated very simply. The criminal will inconspicuously wait at an intersection until someone crosses, then ram them. The criminal will claim you ran the red light or stop sign. Planted witnesses will collaborate with the other driver. This is hard to avoid. Do your best to find a witness not involved in the scam.
Swoop and Squat: Almost everyone has heard of this tactic. It is when a car swoops in front of you quickly, then slams on the brakes (squats). Many times the vehicle has multiple passengers who will claim injury. Often there are doctors and lawyers involved also. This one is extremely hard to avoid. The best thing is to just pay attention to passing vehicles and be prepared to stop quickly. These scams tend to file huge claims and affect the low cost of insurance the most.
Right of Way Scam: A really nice person gives you permission to merge with a friendly wave, then crashes into you. This person denies ever yielding right of way. You can avoid this one of two ways. You could never submit to strangers kind gestures or you could hesitate before merging. This assures there is plenty of room for you to accelerate quickly when changing lanes. It will help avoid a side impact. Then if the perpetrator hits you from behind, he or she clearly accelerated and it will be his or her fault.
Paper Scams: Criminals will report a bogus hit and run or will file a claim for a low amount of money. Amounts under one thousand don’t tend draw red flags from insurance companies and can add up to a lot of money if claimed several times a month. these criminals will usually switch insurance companies often or enlist multiple partners in the scam and split the profits. These don’t affect others except for ruining low cost insurance rates.
Read the rest of this entry »
If you’re shopping for affordable auto insurance and looking to save money, there are many variables to consider. The price of auto insurance varies depending on the car you drive, your driving record, and the insurance company you choose. This guide has information to help you choose the best auto insurance policy for your goals.
It’s easy to shop around and get price quotes from various companies now that most of this information is online. Insurance Information Institute (www.iii.org) suggests drivers get at least three price quotes. You can get an online auto insurance quote from an insurance Web site or call them directly. Sometimes, your state insurance department has charts to compare auto insurance (http://www.iii.org/media/companies/state_org/insur_departments). Be sure to compare quotes from different types of insurance companies. For example, some companies sell policies through their own agents, while others sell through independent agents who offer policies from various insurance companies. Sometimes policies are sold directly online or by phone. Depending on the sales method, prices may vary.
Remember, though, you shouldn’t shop by price alone. Make sure the company as a whole satisfies you. Do they answer your questions and handle claims effectively and fairly? Talk with friends, family, and co-workers, or check consumer magazines. State insurance departments also provide consumer complaint ratios for various companies.
Ask for Higher Deductible
A higher deductible can lower the price of your auto insurance considerably. According to www.iii.org, “Increasing your deductible from $200 to $500 could reduce your collision coverage and comprehensive coverage premium by 15 to 30 percent. Going to a $1,000 deductible can save you 40 percent or more.” These are substantial savings; however, you need the deductible on hand in case something happens to your vehicle.
Compare Insurance Costs Before Buying Car
The price of auto insurance depends greatly on the type of car you drive. Factors include the sticker price, costs for repair, overall safety record and the likelihood of theft. Often insurers offer discounts to drivers who take measures to reduce the risk of injuries or theft.
Purchase Home and Auto Insurance from Same Provider
If you buy two or more types of insurance from one insurer, you will often receive a multi-policy discount. You may also pay a lower price if you insure more than one vehicle with the same insurance company. Often, long-time customers are offered reduced premiums.
Take Advantage of Low-mileage and Safe-driver Discounts
Some motorists receive a low-mileage discount from their insurers for driving a lower than average number of miles per year. These discounts also often apply to drivers who carpool. And, if you’re a safe driver, and you have not had any accidents or moving violations in a number of years, many companies will reward you with a safe-driver discount. If you’ve recently taken a defensive driving course, you may also receive a price reduction.
To save money on, business auto insurance is something to ask about. You may be eligible for insurance through your employer, or through professional or business groups and other associations you are involved in. You should also closely monitor your credit rating because your credit may affect the price you pay for insurance. No matter what, always shop around and compare prices. This is the most effective way to save money on auto insurance!
Read the rest of this entry »
Many drivers have noticed that their car insurance premiums have recently risen and as a result say that they would go green in order to save money.
A leading comparison site has found that a quarter of drivers are paying more for their car insurance than they were last year, with the average policy rising by 6 per cent. This increase also seems set to continue as experts believe that there may be further rises to as much as 10 per cent by the end of this year.
The comparison site is warning drivers that unless they shop around and compare prices in order to find cheap car insurance , they could end up paying a lot more than they have to for their premiums.
Out of all of the people questioned in this survey, 28 per cent admitted that they had accepted the increase and only 30 per cent said that they moved to a different insurer after prices increased.
The comparison site said that with prices for things such as mortgages and food rising, we should be taking every step we can in order to save money.
Due to this trend of car insurance costs rising, another price comparison site has found that two thirds of motorists would rather buy a more environmentally friendly car if it meant that their car insurance premiums would be lower.
There are already around two million drivers who claim they drive a ‘green’ car, however; a further 21 million say that they would consider driving one if it meant them having more money as a result.
When motorists were asked what their reasons were for buying an eco friendly car, most admitted that it would be because of the money incentive rather than the any environmental worries they may have.
With many British drivers saying that they would be willing to embrace greener driving, it is down to the Government to give them the incentive by making greener driving cheaper. The problem at the moment is that it doesn’t look to be cheaper, as the cost of repairs could mean that it ends up being a lot more expensive. If the Government was to reduce the cost of road tax for green drivers they would have more of an incentive. However, at the moment, it looks like the best way of ensuring cheaper car insurance is to continue comparing quotes.
Read the rest of this entry »
The happy day has arrived! Your teenage son or daughter has taken the drivers license test and passed with flying colors. You have a teenaged driver in your house. Of course, NOW you must look at car insurance for teenagers and this could take a bit of the joy out of this milestone event.
You COULD just refuse to let your teenager drive at all until he is older. But I dare say that would not make for a pleasant environment in your household. There are other ways to avoid using your life’s savings to obtain car insurance for teenagers, though. You just need to do a bit of research before making the final decision.
If the car being driven is an older model, this can help you save a bit of money on the insurance premium. Older cars are heavier and harder to drive recklessly, which makes them safer. While your teenager is probably not going to be thrilled with this vehicle choice, it is a way for him to get insurance and start driving immediately. If you drop collision and comprehensive damage on this car, opting for liability only, you will have an affordable premium. The physical damage coverage on a car is where you really pay through the nose.
Driving history will be another factor in obtaining reasonable rates in car insurance for teenagers. If he is a safe driver, avoiding tickets and accidents, his driving record will speak for itself. However, he will not have a driving record to consider when obtaining insurance for the first time. Here is where graduating from a good driving school might just make a difference in the premium.
Some insurance companies will award a discount to first time drivers if they have at least a B average or higher in school. This discount can be quite substantial so it would be advisable to shop around for companies that will do this.
Read the rest of this entry »